✅ Abnormalities in thyroid function have been associated with several hematological abnormalities including anemia, changes in the mean corpuscular volume, other cytopenias and changes in primary and secondary hemostasis.
✅ Hypothyroidism associated with:
- Macrocytosis in up to 35% of patients.
- Anemia in 5-25% of patients, usually normocytic.
- A shift of the hemostatic balance towards a hypocoagulable and hyperfibrinolytic (bleeding) state, including acquired von Willebrand disease (VWD).
✅ Hyperthyroidism associated with:
- Anemia in 5-20% of patients, usually normocytic but occasionally microcytic.
- Thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, or pancytopenia in a minority of cases.
- A shift of the hemostatic balance towards a hypercoagulable and hypofibrinolytic (clotting) state.