How is macrocytosis defined?
Sort the condition according to the typical mean cell volume:
Abbreviation: MDS, myelodysplastic syndrome
True or false: increased reticulocytes cause a reduction in the mean cell volume.
True or false: macrocytosis may occur in the absence of anemia.
Macrocytosis without anemia is called isolated macrocytosis:
- More common in those with:
- Mean cell volume (MCV) < 110 fL
- Medication-associated macrocytosis
- Unexplained macrocytosis
- Less common in those with:
- MCV > 110 fL
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Hemolytic anemia
- Underlying none arrow disease
- Liver disease
True of false: with careful investigation, the cause of macrocytosis can be determined in virtually every patient.