- Drug-independent – via auto-antibodies
- Drug-dependent antibodies
- Activates a response only while the drug is present.
- Drug-dependent antibodies may specifically attach to the drug, the drug’s metabolites, and/or drug-RBC neoantigens.
- Two types:
- Hapten type which is due to the noncovalent binding of the drug to the RBC which is then targeted by the autoantibody in a drug-dependent manner.
- Drug-autoantibody immune (ternary) complexes that are mediated by a complement-dependent hemolysis that is drug dependent.
Learn more here.