- Mild HS
- Normal Hb level with reticulocytes < 6%.
- May require 0-1 transfusion during lifetime and rarely splenectomy.
- Moderate HS
- Hb level > 8 g/dL (80 g/L) with reticulocytes 6%-10%.
- May require 0-2 transfusions during infancy and in some cases splenectomy (if the capacity level is decreased).
- Moderately severe HS
- Hb level 6-8 g/dL (60-80 g/L) with reticulocytes > 10%.
- May require > 2 transfusions intermittently and splenectomy likely necessary.
- Severe HS
- Hb level 10%.
- Require regular transfusions and splenectomy likely necessary.
2012 British Committee Standards in Haematology (BCSH) expert guideline on diagnosis of hereditary spherocytosis:
Learn more here.